IT consultants are experts that advise, plan, design and install information technology systems for clients. This includes recommending types of software and systems to use. Typically, IT students enter the field with engineering school.
The Job Scope
- Examining a company’s IT system and infrastructure
- Identifying and diagnosing IT system problems, inefficiencies and weaknesses
- Planning a timeline for completion of projects
- Understanding a client’s business requirements
- Executing a technological solution to meet business requirements
- Examining and identifying security threats
- Providing advice on technology best practice
- Liaising with technical in-house team to ensure familiarity with technology
- Coaching staff to use new IT systems
- Monitoring the success of IT solutions
- Work on detailed reports on the efficacy of the technology
An entry level IT consultant with 1-3 years of experience earns an average compensation of RM103,588 or RM8,632 a month.
An IT consultant who has been in the industry for over 8 years earns an average compensation of RM185,759 or RM15,490 a month.