A safety officer provides safety management, advice, monitoring and reporting in the workplace. They also engage staff in programmes that ensure a safe and healthy working environment. As a safety officer, you are also needed to monitor pyschological risks, biological risks, chemical risks and ergonomic risks for the overall wellbeing of employees.
The Job Scope
- Auditing production while keeping a lookout for any unsafe behaviour that breaks regulations
- Evaluating risk and safety hazards for all aspects of operations
- Curating analytical reports of safety data
- Examining production equipment and processes to ensure their safety
- Arranging repairs for unsafe and/or damaged equipment
- Guiding and instructing on various safety-related topics
- Access existing policies and measures and update according to legislation
- Supervise installations, maintenance, discarding of substances
- Document and investigate incidents to determine causes and manage worker’s compensation claims
- Draw up reports and provide statistical information to higher management
An entry level safety officer with 1-2 years of experience earns an average salary of RM2,500.
A senior level safety officer with 7+ years of experience earns an average salary of RM6,100