Counsellor / Psychologist
Counsellors listen to, empathise with, encourage and help to empower individuals. The nature of problems encountered varies according to the setting and could include, for example, depression, anxiety, the need to manage harmful emotions and behaviours, or difficulties with coping with traumatic experience and events. Counsellors may work with clients with mild to moderate mental health problems or drug-related problems, or with people who need support because of genetic disorders or diseases such as cancer.
The Job Scope
- Providing counselling face to face, over the telephone, or online
- Working with individuals, families or groups
- Keeping confidential records
- Building a relationship of trust and respect with clients
- Listening to clients' concerns, empathising with them, and helping them to see things more clearly or in a different way
An entry level licensed professional counselor (1-3 years of experience) earns an average salary of RM3,500 to 4,900.
On the other end, a senior level licensed professional counselor (8+ years of experience) earns an average salary of RM8,000