Film and Video Editor
As a film or video editor, you will be responsible for assembling recorded raw material into a finished product that's suitable for broadcasting. The material may include camera footage, dialogue, sound effects, graphics and special effects. This is a key role in the post-production process and your skills can determine the quality and delivery of the final product. You'll usually work closely with the director to achieve the desired end result.
The Job Scope
- Receiving a brief or an outline of footage, short list, script, or screenplay
- Assembling all raw footage, with camera shots either recorded or transferred onto video tape in preparation for inputting into the computer
- Inputting uncut rushes and sound, and synchronizing and storing them into files on the computer
- Digitally cutting files to put together the sequence of the film and deciding what's usable
- Creating a 'rough cut' (or assembly edit) of the programme/film and determining the exact cutting for the next and final stages
- Reordering and fine-tuning the content to ensure the logical sequencing and smooth running of the film/video.
A keen eye for detail and a critical mind
Creativity and a passionate interest in film and video editing
Patience and concentration
The ability to listen to others and to work well as part of a team
A high level of self-motivation, commitment and dedication
Organizational and time management skills
The ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
Communication skills, both written and oral.
Film and Video Editor
SPM / O-LevelMinimum of 5 credits
A-Level: Minimum of 2 principal passes
STPM: Minimum CGPA of 2.0
Australian Matriculation: Minimum of ATAR 60
Canadian Pre-University: At least an average of 60%
An entry-level Film / Video Editor with less than 1-year experience can expect to earn total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of RM 2,327 a month.
1-4 YEARS EXPERIENCE
An early career Film / Video Editor with 1-4 years of experience can earn up to RM 3,500 a month.
A mid-career Film / Video Editor with 5-9 years of experience earns around RM5,000 a month.